Necessary, for example, if you use a particular account to notify your
users of a certain event (sending them notifications). Large apps with
high traffic might need to send over 150 alerts from the bot account
per hour.

Im thinking it's also used for apps that try to deliver tweets in
'realtime' by requesting the REST API very frequently rather than use
the streaming APIs.

Perhaps it's also used to make multiple requests to /users/show via a
cronjob that makes sure all the user's of the site have an up to date
profile image and background image cached. (If a user changes their
profile picture on Twitter, your cached URL 404's)

Anyway I've only used whitelisting for the first (notifying users when
they are tagged into photos - or when they are invited to events on
twappening.com)

-Sam @sampicli http://twicli.com