" I'll ask them for a username and password, and log them into OAuh
myself without them having to ever see a web browser."

Announcing that your application is doing an end-run around Twitter's
authentication protocols is a great way to get your app shut down.
Also, your application is likely to break if Twitter makes changes to
the OAuth page layout.

I have lots of issues with OAuth, but it's basic premise is sound:
OAuth allows people to use Twitter without giving away their Twitter
credentials.