I have seen my URLs both shorted and not; it appeared to me that the
gating factor was the length of the tweet - if the non-shortened version
fit in 140 chars, it would leave it alone.

this was just based on observation, however.

Joseph Cheek
jos...@cheek.com, www.cheek.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/cheekdotcom