Probably too late for this, but perhaps moving forward, it could be done... Twitter.com should move to using their own API. The tools they use to power their own site should be the same tools we use and rely on.

In all reality, this seems a simpler approach, rather than pushing out code for their stuff, and then essentially backporting that to an API, just work on making the API, and then integrate that into the twitter.com site.

As far as I can tell, this would solve pretty much every problem the API has, as there can not be a case where twitter is down, but the API is up, or the API is down, and twitter is up.

Twitter should be eating their own dog food :)