> I am unhappy with the API as it currently exists and retweets received will
> be canonized into the older format (and retweets sent will be done
> programmatically in the older fashion instead of through the retweet
> methods). I suspect there are other app authors who will also do something
> similar.

>From our application's point of view, this is the scenario that I am
concerned about. I am afraid there are going to be so many different
versions of twitter applications floating around, some using the new
retweet API to retweet status, some not using the retweet API and just
issuing new tweets prefixed with RT.

Does twitter have plans to prevent status messages (just like they
prevent duplicates) that use the old retweet format and in effect,
force applications to upgrade to using the retweet api?

If not, then I do not see any short-term solution, other than
application developers who rely upon finding retweets for a tweet,
will have to now take into account both the new retweet api and the
old "search" method based upon the "RT @<username>" format. Which
obviously adds complexity.

Maybe I'm missing something? :)