> > Simply including the option of retweets=true should solve the backwards
> > compatibility option.
>
> I don't see why we even need it to be backwards compatible as
> technically it already is surely?
> The home_timeline <status>'s are the actual retweet, to make it new
> style retweet compatible you need to explicitly handle the retweeted
> status nodes.

Quite right, if people were all using proper JSON parsers. However, I am
personally aware of some applications that simply hand-grep through the
status list, which is horribly kludgey but does work. I am also sure that
Twitter is also aware of them, and unexpected fields probably would break
them, so I can see the logic in not doing this by default. I do of course
strongly believe it should be offered to apps that want them, naturally.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckai...@floodgap.com
-- Happiness is having a scratch for every itch. -- Ogden Nash ----------------