On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
>> c. The Streaming API isn't designed to play well with desktops /
>> laptops / mobiles.
>
> (not to change the direction of the thread) just out of curiosity - why do
> you think that's the case?  we don't intend it not to play well, and want to
> know what you think should be fixed.

My choice of words was wrong. I don't remember the exact language - I
can find it if necessary - but when the Streaming API was released to
production status, John Kalucki said that desktop developers should
hold off on production use of Streaming but that it was OK to test
with it.

But Streaming is a steady, hopefully uninterrupted flow of tweets.
Those have to be buffered / persisted for at least some length of time
for them to be useful beyond just "displaying breaking news". Mobiles
don't have the space and have limited memory and processing
capabilities. And if they're going to be always on and always
collecting / processing data, they have to be plugged in.

I can see a case for building a desktop app with Streaming, provided
you have a backup mechanism for data collection in case your desktop
needs to be rebooted. But laptops are essentially the same deal as
mobiles - they aren't always plugged in to a power source.

>> The environment in which Twitter and the Twitter development community
>> operate is changing rapidly. The *desktop* oAuth tradeoffs may have
>> made sense a year ago. before the huge growth spurt in awareness and
>> usage of Twitter in 2009. As I've noted, I think the *server* oAuth
>> tradeoffs still make sense. I think we need to take the advice of
>> Wayne Gretzky and "skate to where the puck is going to be."
>
> i just want to really emphasize that we all do energetically read these
> email threads and try to learn as much as we can from them.  this thread, so
> far, has been great.

I've said this before, but maybe not here. As a developer I've worked
with a number of companies over the years, and I can't think of any
that was easier to work with than Twitter. Part of it is the
simplicity of the API - have a look at Google's or Facebook's some
time. ;-) But a bigger part is that you do understand what our
challenges are.

It's not just oAuth and it's not just Twitter - mobile and desktop
security is a big challenge. Microsoft has been unable to stop the
spread of botnets on Windows, and only the relative rarity of Mac and
Linux desktops has prevented them from becoming botnet targets as
well. Google's idea of a locked-down netbook that can't be compromised
without a screwdriver and a soldering iron is looking very good to me
right now. ;-)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net

"I've always regarded nature as the clothing of God." ~Alan Hovhaness