Also worth noting: there was no error returned - it hung up after 3/4
seconds. If you connect to twitter.com port 80 using hyperterminal /
winsock, you can copy and paste (replacing the authorisation, and
enabling append line feeds onto line ends in hyperterminal options) my
examples and see this for yourself.

Any other ideas? I would really appreciate any comments on this issue.