Hi Mark, thanks for your reply but I think you may be mistaken.

- In the first example, I tell the server to expect 36 bytes and I
then send it: "status=ALAhM%3A+Test_Unit+t1%3A35tej"
- In the second example, I tell the server to expect 35 bytes and I
then send it: "status=ALAhM%3A+Test_Unit+t1%3A35te"

Notice the 'j' on the first example - not there in the second one.

I'm dealing with the raw sockets, but I have been diagnosing manually
using hyperterminal / winsock to be sure that it's not my software
clouding the issue. You can test this example quite easily by just
copying and pasting into hyperterminal (be sure to enable the option
File->Properties->Settings->ASCII Setup->Send line ends with line
feeds) and changing the Auth value (you can use
http://www.functions-online.com/en/base64_encode.html to generate).

Secondly, I am aware that duplicate posts will not be posted and I am
sure that this is not the issue. Lastly, I am 100% sure that there are
not any hidden bytes / spaces being sent on the end.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again