John, thanks for the response. This makes sense.

While I do trust that the existing crossdomain.xml policies were
implemented out of a *concern* for user privacy and security, I don't
believe they should remain as they currently are, and while the issue
has been repeatedly brought to attention in this forum it has never
had an official response other than "we're thinking about it". I think
a lot of Flash developers have been very patient with Twitter in this
regard. Keep in mind we're not talking about some particular service
call on an API being unavailable, but rather the entire non-search
Twitter API.

Twitter has addressed security concerns very well through OAuth. There
is really no reason Flash apps should be restricted if they are making
OAuth calls to the new api.twitter.com endpoints. For other
discussions of this please see
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_frm/thread/e35a708400b529b3
and
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_frm/thread/d3230be66c27c88e?hl=en&tvc=1