> So I think we need to allow Twitter some leeway here.

I apologize if my tone came off badly; it was not intended. I've just
had bumpy rides using timestamps for coordination in distributed
systems (less cool ones than space flight), so this worried me a
little. In the end, whatever Twitter decides to do, I'll work with.

> As far as occasional glitches are concerned, we have those now. Every
> so often, we still get Fail Whales, 5xx errors, DDos attacks, etc.

The difference is that those errors are straightforwardly detectable
on the client side and can be handled more or less gracefully. Minor,
intermittent data issues (like the odd missing tweet) are less
straightforward to detect, but still trigger support emails. :)

-josh