On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Dewald Pretorius <dpr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Andrew's full employment history
> and business background. But, I've been in the IT industry since 1980,
> and I've been at Vice President level of a large IT consulting
> company. Hence, with some things there is a slight possibility that I
> may know a little about what I'm talking.

Freelancing/consulting since 1996, mix of consulting and fulltime
since 1998, including time at IBM, Xerox, Gannett, Xerox again, and
other less-familiar names ranging from raw startups to SMB to midsize
corps, generally in dev/engineering/lead roles. More recently, CTO of
two startups, one somewhat backburnered this past year with the
economy, one rather new, (months old) still stealth but crazy active
and approaching public beta.

More relevant perhaps, recently took on the role of Senior Client
Services Engineer for Apprenda Inc., a recently-funded (NEA) upstate
NY startup, and makers of SaaSGrid. Also responsible for engineering
three or four actively consumed, fairly mature APIs (with admittedly
relatively small userbases) over the past few years.

I've been on both sides of the API fence, provider and consumer. I've
seen great evangelism and great advocacy. I've also seen piss poor
planning resulting in piss poor results.

--ab