On 04/27/2010 04:53 PM, Julio Biason wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
> <zn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Charging money is how we pay our expenses and earn enough profit to
>> invest in research and development for the next generation applications. ;-)
>
> Just because it's open source it doesn't mean you can't charge for it.
> So I'm guessing that's what John Meyer asked what open source have to
> with money.
>
> As a matter of fact, Richard Stallman, to fund the development of the
> GNU system, was selling copies of Emacs. Of course, it was not
> licenses (like every big company do these days), but his work and the
> media.

I wasn't saying you couldn't charge for open source software. I was
saying you'd have a tough time getting people to pay for *command line*
tools. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős