On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:22:56AM -0700, Jef Poskanzer wrote:
> Have you considered keeping basic auth enabled, but only for https?
> This would be secure against packet sniffing and would probably use
> less resources than OAuth.

The issue with Basic Auth isn't packet sniffing.

The issue with Basic Auth is that you're giving your Twitter login
credentials to a third party (i.e., some application that is not
Twitter) and, in most cases, allowing that third party to store your
Twitter login credentials for future use.  This is Very Bad.  General
security best practice states that you should *never* give your login
credentials for *any* system to *any* third party for *any* reason.

To put it another way, how about if you just give me the username and
password for your bank's website so that I can deposit some money for
you?  I won't use it to transfer money to my account, or to lock you out
of your bank account, and I'll forget them as soon as the deposit has
been made.  Really.  I promise.

*That* is the problem with Basic Auth, regardless of whether I use https
when I log in to your bank account or not.

--
Dave Sherohman