I think developers, other than those who have built a business serving
in-stream ads, are freaking out for no reason. Let's start with the in-
stream ad companies. If you built these applications and did not see
this coming you deserve this. Apps that used the Twitter API to serve
in-stream ads are directly competing with Twitter core business, or at
least the one they plan to use to monetize their product. Twitter has
every reason in the world to get these applications of the site and
out of the timelines.

Based on Dick Costello's post, it seems as if applications that do not
directly interfere with Twitter's core product will continue to
thrive.

"We believe there are opportunities to sell ads, build vertical
applications, provide breakthrough analytics, and more. Companies are
selling real-time display ads or other kinds of mobile ads around the
timelines on many Twitter clients, and we derive no explicit value
from those ads. That’s fine. We imagine there will be all sorts of
other third-party monetization engines that crop up in the vicinity of
the timeline."

Companies like StockTwits and Flixup are safe. Companies like ad.ly
and 140Proof are not. The low hanging fruit was in-stream advertising.
This made perfect sense because 1). it was easy to execute and scale
and 2). Twitter was not doing it. Founders of these apps were very
short-sighted if they thought they would be able to continue to play
in-stream at, what Costello is saying, was at the users and the
platforms expense. Developers need to innovate and figure out ways to
leverage the power of Twitter's data and monetize outside of
Twitter.com and outside of the timeline.