Hey guys,

A few people have asked why Favstar got blacklisted, so I thought I'd post
this here to answer, and perhaps allow others to prevent this happening to
their own service.

The reason given by Twitter for Favstar's blacklisting last Thursday was
that it was [in theory] ignoring a high error response rate from Twitter,
when it should have been backing off.  This is undocumented, but Matt Harris
has told me that if you see 10 errors per second, you should be responding
with incremental back off.  Implementing back-off based on rate limits alone
is not enough.

I'm seeking more details (timeframes, which errors, 10 out of how many
requests per second etc) and will post them in this thread when I know more
- unless Twitter does themselves.

Cheers,

Tim.