Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for bumping this to our attention. Some of the threads fall off
our radar so a prompt is always welcome.

Search treats separate words as an AND search meaning a search for:
  Don SomeLastName
will translate to:
  Don AND SomeLastName.

For a complete phrase search you would instead want to search for:
  "Don SomeLastName".

The problem you are experiencing with "Don" matching "Don't" is, as
you suggested, managed by appending "-don't" to the query. You don't
need to escape the apostrophe and the quotes are not necessary, making
your search query:
  Don SomeLastName -don't

You can read more about the supported advanced search operators on the
search site [1].

Hope that helps,

Matt Harris
Developer Advocate, Twitter