For clarity:

There is nothing stopping you from using localhost as your oauth_callback
during testing for OAuth 1.0a. While the form for your application on
dev.twitter.com will not allow you to store a localhost domain as your
pre-registered callback URL, our OAuth sub-system has no trouble using
localhost for redirects when explicitly declared on the request token step.
If you want to use localhost as your domain, just set the callback URL
within your application record to something else.

As a reminder, it's proper OAuth to always send an oauth_callback on the
request token step of OAuth negotiation -- even if you've preregistered a
callback or are using the PIN code/out-of-band flow (in which case you would
send oauth_callback=oob).

Taylor