Hey, John. There are a few reasons I'm interested in unfollow events
in Site Streams, but Tim got to the real point: "it would make it
extremely easy to keep the relationship info up to date".

* My service shows you the latest tweet, matching specific criteria,
from each person you follow. Currently, unless I manually check the
REST API every so often, I wouldn't know to stop showing you a tweet
from someone you stopped following. With unfollow events in the Site
Stream, this would be trivial and wouldn't require me to run a
background process against the REST API.

* I have a system in place to retrieve the relationship information
between two people using my service. This currently hits the REST API
to check whether or not you're following that requested person. I then
cache that relationship information to my database and expire it after
a certain amount of time. With only access to the REST API, there's
always a chance my cache is out of date. Site Streams already deliver
the full list of people being followed by each person the stream
follows in addition to new follow events. Unfortunately, this isn't
enough for me to stop using the REST API and expiring relationship
details from my cache. I could keep the cache semi-updated based on
new follow events, but I'd still need to expire that information and
fallback to the REST API after some time. If Site Streams delivered
unfollow events, there wouldn't be any need to fallback on the REST
API because I'd have the full list of people being followed when the
stream was opened and then each follow and unfollow event thereafter.
My local cache would always be up to date and I wouldn't need to hit
the REST API or expire any details locally.

* Although I currently use a messaging type architecture for the main
part of my service, there are certain features I'd like to implement
that would require joining across a friendships table to find all
tweets, matching specific criteria, by everyone being followed by the
current user (I can't use my messaging tables because those only
contain information for you after you start using the service and
would prevent you from seeing any older tweets we already have
matching that criteria). Manually keeping a user's full social graph
synced up is wasteful and I've disabled the features in my site that
currently require it. However, if Site Streams delivered unfollow
events in addition to the list of people being followed by someone at
the start of a stream as well as new follow events after the stream
was open, keeping the user's social graph updated would be very
efficient.

For me, getting unfollow events delivered in the Site Stream means I
would no longer have to hit the REST API for relationship details.
Everything would be up to date and nothing in my cache would have to
expire (unless a Site Stream was restarted, in which case I would
clear the currently cached relationship details for each user being
followed by that stream and set them up again).

I hope this clarifies the different situations where I'd find unfollow
events useful. Thanks!

On Sep 29, 11:42 pm, John Kalucki <j...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Please describe your use case for unfollows on Site Streams...
>
> -John Kaluckihttp://twitter.com/jkalucki
> Twitter, Inc.
>

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM, tsmango <tsma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah I wasn't able to find that. It's a shame if true. Thanks for the
> > information.
>
> > On Sep 29, 6:05 pm, Tim Haines <tmhai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Seen this answered about 1 - 2 weeks ago.  Answer is no.

> > - @tsmango
>
> > --
> > Issues/Enhancements Tracker:http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
> > Change your membership to this