Hey Adam,

There are many reasons why Tweets may not show in Search but exist
elsewhere.  We have a support article which goes into this in more detail:
    http://support.twitter.com/articles/66018

To answer your question though it is likely the problem you are hitting is
that * is ignored when entered as a search term (the same as many other
popular search interfaces). For this reason a search for "* test" will
search instead for the word "test" and return the results for it. It maybe
you were just giving an example but generally testing tweets are bad things
to look for in Search. Search is designed around relevance, something that
'test test' doesn't fit well with. Instead real world examples of the
content you are expecting are better tests.

Hope that helps,
@themattharris
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/themattharris