Hi Ian,

For trends you might like to try our trends.api.twitter.com server which
hosts a cached copy of the trends information and is updated whenever the
trends change. It should support your use case and we would be interested in
any feedback you may have about it's performance.

To use it just map the api.twitter.com trends request onto the
trends.api.twitter.com domain name, for example:
    http://api.twitter.com/1/trends/available.json
becomes:
    http://trends.api.twitter.com/1/trends/available.json

and: