I have been reading through the documentation for the stream api and the
user stream api and I'm not sure why everyone is getting so upset about.  It
looks like this is going to benefit developers and allow Twitter to maintain
a more stable environment which is a good thing for us.  I understand that
no being able to get whitelisted will require more work on our end to stay
within the 350 requests per hour but the trade off is worth it in my
opinion.    For our apps DM's are very important and if I am reading the
user stream documentation correctly DM's are no longer rate limited if you
use the user stream api where as with the REST api you had a 250/day limit.
 So I'm not sure if I've missed the point but it seems like this is a good
thing.

Trevor.