Some metrics:

I just reran some tests to compare results for both the polling search
api + geocode and the steaming api statuses/filter + locations using
San Francisco as the geolocation.

Basically, the polling search api+geocode returns approximately 30x
more results than the steaming api statuses/filter + locations within
the same test period for the same geolocation.

The parameters used for the search api+geocode were: 37.736784,
-122.44709, 40km
The parameters used for the steaming api statuses/filter + locations
were:
-122.901549008664,37.3773810096865,-121.992630991336,38.0961869903135
which correspond to the bounding box around 37.736784, -122.44709,
40km.

Why is there such huge difference and can we expect the streaming API
to eventually match what the search API produces for geolocalized
searches?

Thanks,
Colin