Raffi, do you really think a statement that insisted that all developers
make sure that every single app presents tweets in exactly the same way, and
that reminded those developers that Twitter shuts down hundreds of apps a
day that fail to conform to the required presentation style, and that
pointed to a TOS that went from 30 days warning to instant shutdown without
any warning, would be read as Twitter urging everyone to "innovate"?

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:

> in reading your blog post, i think you're misunderstanding what
> @*rsarver*wrote.
>
> the API is open -- i personally love seeing all the innovation around
> getting content into twitter (/1/status/update).  there is a cafe in
> france who's oven tweets whenever its done baking.  that uses the platform
> to get content in there.  there was a NYU project that enabled your plants
> to tweet when they needed water.  that uses the platform to get content into
> twitter.   then there are people who match tweets to context.  seeing
> twitter in action with a television show, or a newspaper article, or a
> conference, or a band -- that's how people really understand and get
> twitter.  they see it through the lens of what's happening in the world.
>
> what @*rsarver* said, effectively, was building a business around
> *simply*rendering
> /1/statuses/home_timeline was probably-not-the-best-thing-to-do.  please
> go still innovate.  just don't bet money on simply making an API call to
> grabbing a user's home_timeline and rendering it.  that's thinking too
> small, and @*rsarver* is telling you that.
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Shannon Whitley <
> shannon.whit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was hoping that Ryan was just a few weeks early for his April Fools'
>> post.
>>
>> "Don't build clients?"  It sounds like a bad joke.
>>
>> I wrote a letter to Ryan on my blog in response to this post:
>>

>> http://www.voiceoftech.com/swhitley/index.php/2011/03/a-letter-to-ryan-sarver/
>>
>> I know you guys can't be serious about this.  Stage a mutiny if you
>> have to, but don't let this boneheaded decision stand.
>

> --
> Raffi Krikorian
> Twitter, Application Services
> http://twitter.com/raffi