After fixing the basic parts of your signature (please don't ever replace %26 with only a %, it screws up the encoding) and checking at http://quonos.nl/oauthTester/, I got :

*Bad sorting!*
All Base String parameters (query and POST parameters) must be sorted alphabetically.

Tom

On 3/14/11 3:02 PM, lappynet wrote:
Hi

I'm using C#.NET to produce an oob client. I've fallen at the first
hurdle though as I'm failing to make the token request.

I've gone through many iterations, and am no longer receiving a 417,
404, or 401. This is very positive! Now my application hangs whilst
waiting for a response from twitter. (I left it running for an hour
over lunch and still nothing happened, and the code didn't appear to
want to step through.)

I've tried with the values detailed in the documentation to have a
look at the variables that have been produced from them in my
algorithm. I think that I've traced it down to being the way I
generate the signature string:

string signingKey = Uri.EscapeDataString(ConsumerSecret) + "&";
HMACSHA1 hasher = new HMACSHA1(new
ASCIIEncoding().GetBytes(signingKey));
string signatureString = Convert.ToBase64String(hasher.ComputeHash(new
ASCIIEncoding().GetBytes(baseString)));

My base string is:

POST&https%3A%2F%2Fapi.twitter.com%2Foauth
%2Frequest_token&oauth_callback%3Doob%26oauth_consumer_key%XXX
%26oauth_nonce%3DNjM0MzU3MDgxMDEyMDcwODkw%26oauth_signature_method
%3DHMAC-SHA1%26oauth_timestamp%3D1300111301%26oauth_version%3D1.0

Any pointers as to where I may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance
Georgina