Chucking in a few lines here too ...

On 14 March 2011 20:03, Derek Gathright <drg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do it for the challenge and the learning experience.

Ditto. I worked up and 'beta'd' an archive service a while ago but
concluded that Twitter was likely to introduce its own service in that
area (given it had at that time lists and other services had suddenly
become available 'in house) so I ceased work on it but continued to
use it for my own interest. It is a one-way archive and can't be used
to forward to any other service plus it is comprised solely and only
of public data (tweets) of users who requested it. This -- to me --
says it should still be OK on the revised tos.

> For example, where is the official Twitter client for webOS?  Messages
> like "Don't build
> clients anymore" and no official Twitter app on webOS does nothing but hurt
> the ecosystem for thousands of users.  If I were a developer for one of the
> popular webOS clients, I'd be pretty pissed right now.  Heck, as a webOS
> user I'm not thrilled.  I'm sure this is applicable to other ecosystems too.

As another WebOS user here I've tried the 'official' mobile web
interface through the browser, and one of the other clients available,
but neither have given me the user experience I'd like or think could
be possible, so had been thinking of turning my mind to it.

But then on Friday night without any notice or explanation my access
*as a user* to twitter was suspended. As a learning experience it has
been 'interesting'; the system obliges a user to initiate a ticket
requesting reinstatement -- though over 24 hours later I've had
nothing back except an initial automated 'received' reply -- and a set
of timestamps on the ticket thread which are massively in error. I've
done nothing contrary to the TOS and though I was loathe to bring it
up here there is just the tiniest wisp of a thought at the back of my
mind of whether my development activities have been the cause? If so
this should be worrying to everyone here.

Anyway, for anyone who wants to know more you can read it on my blog
at http://www.alisonw.com/

But back on the main issue here, I can understand why Twitter wants to
make this move -- from a business pov it is a no-brainer to do so --
but given the sheer number of developers who have been encouraged in
the past to get involved with using the API to provide services it is
worrying that such a substantial revision has happened.

Alison Wheeler (AlisonW)