The thing that is often lost in the discussion about the API and
innovating is the fact that third party clients innovated
significantly in the UI and UX of Twitter. In some cases Twitter's own
clients lag behind considerably. Things like @ completion, hashtag
completion come to mind as features added in third party clients.

I would hate to see the mobile Twitter UX stagnate as we have to wait
for Twitter official clients to implement all the great ideas around
improving UI and UX.

Another issue is that of platforms. Third party developers are the
first ones to reach any new platform with an app. Do we really need to
wait for Twitter to decide a platform is big enough to be worth their
time? Because this notion that reproducing the mainstream client
experience is something only Twitter can do is at odds with that
notion.