This will help you troubleshoot my (hopefully everyone else's) issue:

{Code}
TwitterFactory factory = new TwitterFactory(); // Good
Twitter twitter = factory.getInstance(); // Good

authenticatedUser = twitter.showUser("273610984"); // Throws errors
{Code}

{Errors}
Twitter{auth='OAuthAuthorization{consumerKey='IOnTxKfXbr8NuY8uBG8A6g',
consumerSecret='******************************************',
oauthToken=AccessToken{screenName='heller1900', userId=273610984}}'}
TwitterException{statusCode=404, retryAfter=0,
rateLimitStatus=RateLimitStatusJSONImpl{remainingHits=347,
hourlyLimit=350, resetTimeInSeconds=1302892, secondsUntilReset=3440,
resetTime=Fri Apr 15 14:43:16 EDT 2011}}
404:The URI requested is invalid or the resource requested, such as a
user, does not exists.
{"request":"\/1\/users\/show.json?screen_name=273610984","error":"Not
found"}
{Errors}

Thanks,
-Ashish