As requested I've done some more testing with this, however I'm not getting
any closer.

Just to reiterate, I'm trying to do a recursive download from an FTP Server
to basically do a full backup.  It works fine most of the time, but
occasionally the Cwd command fails to change directory causing files to be
downloaded in the wrong place.

I was asked to check what error is bought up but unfortunately the FTPClient
component doesn't generate an error via the OnError event (though it does
for other things so I know I'm checking it right).

There is no permissions problem - using the same username/password I can
download everything via other FTP programs.  The only error I get is that
Cwd = false.

I managed to trace the problem down to a simple test which fails every time
- there seems to be a bug when changing between directories that are 3 or 4
layers deep i.e.

Changing from '1/2/3/' to 'a/b/c/d' causes Cwd to fail.  This happens
regardless of which server I try it on and in which order I try to download
the directories.

Like I said in a previous email, with the following alteration the program
works much better, but still fails on some directories:

if not(Cwd) then
  begin
    Quit;
    Connect;
    HostDirName := SubDir;
    Cwd;
  end;

Could anyone suggest a resolution or a better way to debug what's going on?

Cheers

Rick