(Old msg, Francois dd 27-02-2007, just some simple IMH(O) opinions)

> In my opinion, you will just sell nothing in the Linux world.

(nobody said you have to)

> Linux users wants free software

(Not all users I sell Linux to are linux users)

> That's the main problem. Do not start any
> investment before being sure to have the project already sold to enough
> customers in order to pay for the development.

For me this boils down to a simple elementary school calculation:

If  (development cost)> (licenses*units shipped) then
  go (any software without per unit license cost)

Note1: Notice that I don't name Linux in the above formula, though  AT THE
MOMENTlinux/x86 is the most likely alternate candidate here due to the mere
existance of SOME drivers. Personally I don't give a [EMAIL PROTECTED]@$&@. The
numbers
below the final summation are the only thing that count.

Note2: "licenses" is a formula here, which factors, among others, OS costs,
Office
suite costs (report generation), and RDBMS cost. Generally there is more money
make to save on Office suite and RDBMS cost, than on OS cost. Simply because
the OS costs are the lowers per unit. Failure to acknowledge this, seems to
be the landmark of a Linux newby.

Conclusion: This makes OS costs only worthwhile if you ship a lot of units.
However it also means that if you ship enough units, it is always
worthwhile, depending on the value of "enough".