>>   |  |-ics-ssl
>>   |-tags
>>   |  |-ics-ssl
>>   |  |  |- beta(n)
>>   |  |-ics
>>   |     |- release(n)
>>   |-trunk
>>      |-ics
>
> There's a few questions I have with your suggested
> structure:
>
> 1. Is ICS-SSL really a branch of ICS, or should it be
> considered a separate project?

It's no separate project. It shares most of the files with
common ICS, most of the SSL code is available as .inc files
compiled in conditionally. And it has its own demo-folder.

> Branches, in my
> opinion, should be temporary code paths destined to
> eventually merge with the main trunk,

Basically that's true, however think of it as a persistent
branch, you can change everything however ever only merge
those changes to the main trunk effecting the shared files.
People can work with either common ICS or SSL and commit
their changes. Merging with the branch or the other way around
was very easy (allowed to admin users only). But I just read
Francois reply, so this discussion is useless in any case.

> 2. Does ICS v6 represent a completely different
> code-base than ICS v5, or is it a natural progression
> for it?

It's the latter, however the point when V6 has been split from
the common base is already some years back and hard to restore.
There will be no new features in V5 so merging between V5 and V6
is most likely not required. Also revision numbers are incremented
for the entire project/repository. But I could very well live with
both in the same repository as well, locally I also treat them as
two different projects.

--
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]