Each time my webserver needs to "nudge" one of the other applications then I
guess I should start a thread to do this.

Not always, but when it has lenghty operations to perform.
Keep in mind that creating a thread takes its time too.
If you have to create a thread frequently, it's better to create a continuous thread and just add a new request to an input queue. If you need resulting data from the thread, then you can create an output queue also (producer-consumer Q's).
This is an excellent way if time is critical.

Paul