> I am using application.processmessages because I need to connect to
> several different sockets as follows

Just create a dynamic array with one TWSocket for each connection, then
start them all together.

Application.ProcessMessages can be used in ICS client applications using
the sync methods, but must never be used in ICS server applications which
are purely async.

> The connected event closes the connection.  My timer aborts the
> connection if it takes too long.

You only need a single timer that checks if the connections have
completed, again an array of tickcounts when they started.  Not really
necessary to abort them, since a connection should always time out
eventually.  The ICS FTP server code does this to close idle clients.

Angus