As a FileZilla client and server user of some years.

Servers that return a Private (LAN) IP in a Passsive Mode parameter
value, are probably misconfigured by their owners, rather than any
deficiancy in the routers used.

F'Zilla can only "detect" your WAN IP, if you point it to a suitable
external site/service that will report back your WAN IP.  Sadly, not all
of them do it in a way F'Zilla can reliably handle.   You could use a
local to you service, that in turn polls your router setup pages to find
the WAN IP currently in use, but every router is different.

If you have a dynamic WAN IP as most home users do, you can use an
external service such as DynDns so you can have a regular "domain name"
who's resolved IP follows your actual IP as it changes from time to time
(with a short delay...)

Then, in F'Zilla (and I guess in any ICS created server) you can find
your outside (WAN) IP, by doing a DNS query on yourself (in FZ, you put
your domain name in the Passive Mode Settings dialog, "Use the following
IP" field) that in turn will return your current WAN IP address, that is
then used as part of the client Passive mode setup protocol.

Or, you ask your ISP for a fixed IP account.  :)

The only thing you need to do to any routers in line, is make sure that
their port forwarding rules are setup, so that *All* the FTP Data
port(s) you use, are passed to the machine on your LAN that is running
the server.   The client of course, does not need to make any such
adjustments, they only ever initiate outgoing connections, so no port
forwarding needs to be done.

Regards.

Dave B.