I was finally able to get back to the password failing when it is empty.
(which is OK)

The lines in the source code that prevent the '' password appear to be:

unit OverbyteIcsHttpSrv;

function THttpConnection.AuthDigestCheckPassword(const Password: String):
Boolean;

   if Password = '' then begin
       Result := FALSE;
       Exit;
   end;

A 401 is returned.

What am I missing?

As I told you in my previous message, you missed that password (passed as var to the event handler) is initialized to #0 which is NOT an empty string.

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be