Well I was a little to fast with my conclusion. It only happens to files in
the demo because they have a proper header, the virtual documents only give
a 404 for a HEAD request.

The download is not of matter, the demo files are 500 bytes or so. And the
server load stays as long as the client is connected.

As I said, I was able to replicate this on two different machines and it is
not limited to local access. cross tests between the machines also show this
behaviour.

Lars