Tobias Rapp wrote:
> Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
>> ICS does not currently support FireMonkey or Mac OS-X, it needs a
>> lot of work since Linux is not event driven like Windows, and makes
>> use of threads to prevent blocking.  ICS did support Kylix for Linux
>> several years ago, so some work has been done.
>
> Both other VCL-like cross-platform libraries I'm aware of (GLib/GTK+
> and Qt) include an abstraction of the underlying event system ([1]
> and [2]). I don't understand why Embarcado should not use a similar
> approach and includes a cross-platform event-system wrapper in
> FireMonkey. It would make the life easier not only for ICS
> developers, I suppose.
>
> BTW: I am not 100% sure but I think that at least GLib doesn't build
> its event system on threads but on I/O signals for better performance.

Well that's one aspect.
Additionally ICS uses the message-based Windows non-blocking socket
API. There doesn't exist something similiar on other platforms, at
least not at such a low level AFAIK. Means non-blocking behavior had
to be implemented using threads (as Windows implements that as well,
under the hood) using the platform messaging/notification stuff
available.

The ICS for Kylix Angus mentioned isn't true xplat, though it
made porting Windows ICS apps to Linux easier. That version will
certainly run on MAC OSX/POSIX as well with just a few changes.
However if we want a true cross platform ICS major parts would have
to be rewritten from scratch which were a lot of work and porting
existing code to such a ICSX certainly won't be a very simple task.