I would loose control on the group
Loose control in what sense? My understanding is that the nabble service will just archive the mailling list, and preset it in a forum alike manner. Similar, but better, to the already available here http://www.archivum.info/twsocket@elists.org/ And in systems such as Google groups (and all the others, I suppose) you can set it up to moderate all the post, and new users registration. From the email interface work exactly as with the elists, but has a better web interface.