Angus, Wilfried...

Many thanks!

> You need to develop a simple TCP client program using TWSocket...

Thank you for pointing me at the right demo to work from.... Oh! And
in looking around for that, I found the link "Click here for a primer
text about TCP..." Apologies, everyone, for not seeing that before
now.

Would the demo "Client5: A basic client program using TWSocket
component." seem to you who know like an alternative good starting
point for my efforts?

> Using HTTP components is totally wrong.

Thank you... It is a relief to learn I don't need to fight that
particular fight at this stage. What a newbie does NOT need to worry
about is almost as helpful as what IS needed!

> Your box is almost certainly both a web server and a telnet
server...

Because that's how most things are made? This is a wonder out of
China, remember.

Not to argue with the experts, but just some of the tests I did that
made me think, hmm... maybe not "the usual" here...

Pointed my browser at 192.168.0.241:5200... got "can't connect... and
yet SmartSniff sees communication to and from there... across two
sockets, if I use the mfg's software... which "works"... it just
doesn't do the things I want to!

ping 192.168.0.241 gets replies
ping 192.168.0.241 5200 says "could not find host on..."

Telnet...

I can get into Telnet, but

o 192.168.0.241 5200 fails, as does
o 192.168.0.241

The first hangs the DOS window, the latter comes back promptly with
"Could not open connection..."

(I set the IP address, and got the config data with the mfg's
software.)

> Telnet simply means lines of data to and from the server, and is
the basis of HTTP, FTP, SMTP and the rest.  Those protocols simply
use a different port to 'telnet' but the same textual interaction.

Helpful, thank you... I stuggle... but I learn!

> If, using a telnet client, you don't get an open connection on port
> 5200, there is a deeper problem.

When I described my Telnet experiences, I was talking about using the
bog standard DOS "telnet" command, inside a Windows "command", or
"DOS" window.

"Deeper problem"... happily, the device DOES seem to "work"
consistently under the mfg's software...

====
I'll go away and study the latest advice, and dig into some stuff
someone else has kindly sent off-list.... and hopefully announce
SUCCESS... or at least come back with better(?) questions?? I am a
lot more clear on the issues that I was when I started... thank you
all for your help! I knew that promoting ICS at my Delphi tutorials
all these years was Right Thinking.

http://facebook.com/SheepdogSoftware  TK Boyd's site with
freeware and shareware for kids, parents, schools... and others.
You don't have to be a Facebook member to access the site.