> when the client ftp was sending a SITE EXEC <progname> to the
> server - now that command
> never even gets received (and therefore never executes).  This
> smells of anti-virus or something but it is just the SITE EXEC that
> does not work - everything else is fine.

Unlikely to be anti-virus, more likely a firewall that is monitoring the
FTP control channel and removing the EXEC command.

I had a similar problem with my Sonicwall monitoring FTP and it kept
interrupting an 8 gig download when it found a development tool it
considered malware.  I just added an exception to stop FTP being
monitored.

Angus