Hi Angus,

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:13 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

> > I updated my AV software and the problem disappeared! Looking back,
> > it may have started after the last AV update.
>
> Excellent, although I'm surprised anti-virus software is monitoring port
> 25 for outgoing email, and worse corrupting it.
>
> What make?

I've got AdAware. I was a little surprised myself. I didn't even have
email checking enabled.

I have to say though, it was likely my fault. The previous update
that caused the problem I had trouble installing and reinstalled 3
times. It didn't really need reinstalling. I just thought it did.

> I've had AV software corrupt FTP transfers in the past, sometimes
> accidentally, sometimes deliberately.
>
> The most annoying was my attempt to download a 6 gig Virtual Machine
> image which my hardware firewall stopped at 4 gigs when it found a
> development tool many AV packages consider a hacking tool.  My FTP
> application kept repeating the download for 12 hours until I stopped it
> manually.

I don't run into these things often. That leaves me rather clueless
when I do.

Thanks so much. This was very bothersome to me. Now I can forget it :)

George