Hi,

Have a look around (
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/?tx_terfe_pi1[view]=search&no_cache=1&tx_terfe_pi1[sword]=shop).
There are a few shops out there. If you look at the archives for the
mailing list you may find some more information, there have been threads
like this before.

We've gone through many iterations for our sites: previous developers have
developed two different shop extensions (which we found weren't stable
enough at times), we've used tt_products, but none of them have met our
expectations/stability/flexibility. At the moment we are using Multishop
which is easily extensible, looks good, however I've had to modify it to
add a few features (although the last version I started on was 1.0.26, but
doubt these features have been added, checked the changelog since).

Richard