On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 23:19, Jacob Pratt via tz <[email protected]> wrote:
> While the recent focus of this list has (rightfully) been on Manitoba > and Northwestern Ontario, I haven't seen anyone ask what will happen in > the westernmost region of Nunavut. There was some discussion in late May and early June: https://lists.iana.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/thread/XIZKFEKMMBHAJO4D4MY3S3U7H4USMXTM/#H3LPJMX6TCBA3FVUKODHJP76RHH73KP7 it would be useful to know what the situation on the ground > is going to be in a few weeks. > The relevant law appears to be: *Interpretation Act*, RSNWT (Nu) 1988, c I-8, section 25 https://www.canlii.org/en/nu/laws/stat/rsnwt-nu-1988-c-i-8/latest/rsnwt-nu-1988-c-i-8.html …particularly its 2001 amendment: https://www.canlii.org/en/nu/laws/astat/snu-2001-c-4/latest/snu-2001-c-4.html Though the statutory text says "Unless otherwise provided in the regulations", when oral questions were posed in the Legislative Assembly on 26 May, Nunavut Minister of Justice George Hickes indicated that "it does require some legislative changes". https://www.assembly.nu.ca/sites/default/files/2026-05/20260526_Blues_English.pdf#page=17 So we'd been looking toward the Legislative Assembly, but it rose on 11 June and does not sit again until 22 October. As an aside, when I looked through recent issues of the *Nunavut Gazette* for possible regulatory changes, I initially reacted to an entry in the May issue called "Time Variation Order" (R-007-2026), but (a) it's dated 21 May, *before* those very oral questions, and (b) it's actually varying a government deadline and has nothing to do with civil timekeeping: https://www.nunavutlegislation.ca/en/nunavut-gazetteall/2026 https://www.nunavutlegislation.ca/en/regulation/r-007-2026-time-variation-order-pond-inlet > the part of Kivalliq Region west of 102°W seems to be > uninhabited (no settlements and nothing visible on satellite view), yet > it's included in the UTC-7/-6 DST for a reason I cannot find. It seems that's just how that part of the zone boundary was drawn in law. It proceeds directly north from the Four Corners shared with Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Northwest Territories. The language is mirrored in a 2001 federal proclamation as well: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2001-182/page-1.html -- Tim Parenti
