Paul Eggert wrote:
> If anyone has contacts with the Manitoba government that could help speed up 
> that process, it'd be appreciated.


Although I am employed by the Government of Manitoba, I do not have any direct 
contact with the Premier’s or the Lieutenant Governor’s offices.  I am also 
anxiously awaiting the OiC to make this change official.  I have heard rumours 
that an Order will come out sometime this week, but nothing more solid than 
that.



However, speaking ONLY as a citizen living in Manitoba, I see a problem with 
Tim Parenti’s commit cd70627 to eggert/tz.  While CDT and EST are the same 
thing mathematically, they are vastly different things linguistically, legally, 
socially and politically.

From <theory.html>, “Use abbreviations that are in common use among 
English-speakers […] CST/CDT/CWT/CPT Central [North America] […]”.  CDT is the 
abbreviation in common use here in English; I have never heard anyone refer to 
local Manitoba time as EST during CDT.  The published material from the 
government so far all refers to permanent Daylight Savings Time, and the 
expectation is that we’ll be on CDT for the foreseeable future, not EST.

If the Order in Council (which I expect) explicitly refers to “Central Daylight 
Time”, then “EST” might also be legally inaccurate, but we’ll have to wait and 
see.
If the 2023 Act gets Proclaimed instead, then it’ll be a new time zone 
“Manitoba Standard Time”, which also does not abbreviate to EST, it will 
abbreviate – with the force of law – to “MBT”.
We’ll all find out which route the government will take shortly, and everyone 
hopes they do it sooner rather than later!

-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
💻https://www.merlin.mb.ca
🤳Follow MERLIN on Social Media

Reply via email to