On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, 4:10 PM Paul Eggert via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> > CLDR doesn't really impact enough places
> > to make a huge difference
>
> Although that was true decades ago, nowadays surely many more users deal
> with time zone names and abbreviations via CLDR than directly via TZDB.
>

Sometimes I really wish as a normal user I could see TZDB codes instead of
CLDR names. I was recently trying to find out if an Android phone has the
new timezone data for Alberta or not. I decided to use it to create a
calendar event after November 1 in Alberta time and compare it with US
Pacific Time to find out what the phone thinks Alberta's time on that day
is.

I was given this list of Canadian time zones to pick from. I think many
people would agree it's very hard for a normal user to figure out what they
should choose:

Mountain Standard - Dawson Creek
GMT-7

Mountain Standard Time
GMT-7

Pacific Daylight Time
GMT-7

Yokun Time
GMT-7

Central Standard - Saskatchewan
GMT-6

Central Standard Time
GMT-6

.... (followed by two GMT-5 choices, two GMT-4 choices, and a GMT-3:30)

I really wish I could see America/Edmonton in front of one of them. That
way, I could be certain which one it thinks is Alberta time on that day.

Roozbeh

Reply via email to