Hi Stephan,

On 07/15/2013 07:55 AM, Stephan Bauroth wrote:
Hi Eric, Hi everyone else,

 > It seems that there are two policy differences between
 > the mx6qsabrelite.h and nitrogen6x.h files:

 > 1. Use of MMC for environment storage
 > 2. Use of boot script in nitrogen6x

 > I think we can dispense with #1. Can you think of any reason
 > a user would care where this is stored?

I don't agree. I usually don't have a MMC put into the slot on my board,
as I want to boot my board via NFS.

This sounds like a vote for having the environment in SPI-NOR.

> Last week I had exactly the situation that my environment was
> resetted everytime i rebooted the board. Since i was testing a
> very unstable kernel, this happened a lot and i had to
> reinitialise the environment for networking booting every
time.

I'm not sure what you're not agreeing with. I'm suggesting that
in order to configure for boot to network, you'll need to
run a few commands:

        U-Boot > setenv serverip 192.168.0.44
        U-Boot > setenv nfsroot /path/to/rootfs
        U-Boot > setenv bootcmd "run bootcmd_net"
        U-Boot > saveenv

The 'bootcmd' is the question I have. The mx6qsabrelite.h file
currently has this:

           "mmc dev ${mmcdev}; if mmc rescan; then " \
                   "if run loadbootscript; then " \
                           "run bootscript; " \
                   "else " \
                           "if run loaduimage; then " \
                                   "run mmcboot; " \
                           "else run netboot; " \
                           "fi; " \
                   "fi; " \
           "else run netboot; fi"

That is, "try to run from SD card, and network if that fails".

What I'm suggesting is that we make the SD card part of
things above 'bootcmd_freescale', so you have three choices
for configurations:

        U-Boot > setenv bootcmd "run bootcmd_boundary"
        U-Boot > setenv bootcmd "run bootcmd_freescale"
        U-Boot > setenv bootcmd "run bootcmd_net"

'bootcmd_freescale' and 'bootcmd_net' can be essentially
the Freescale scripts, so they match documentation done
by the Freescale team. 'bootcmd_boundary' would be the
default for boards we ship.

Any of these can be saved to SPI NOR for use at POR.

> At the end it took me half an hour to find the swtich and the
thing was done. But mentioning the fact in the README would have saved
some time. :)

I think we're all in agreement about proper notes in the README.
We're just trying to figure out the policy to document.

Also note that since a user can over-ride 'bootcmd', all of this
are just defaults.

When I'm doing network boots, I find it easier to simply set the
'bootargs' and 'bootcmd' variables directly

U-Boot > setenv bootargs ... root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=...
U-Boot > setenv bootcmd 'dhcp 10800000 192.168.0.44:uImage && bootm'

This skips all of the conditionals and is much easier to verify.

Regards,

Eric