On 4/21/2016 12:55 PM, Andreas Dannenberg wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:26:30AM -0500, Andreas Dannenberg wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 06:37:14PM -0500, Daniel Allred wrote:
Update the CPU string output so that the device
type is now included as part of the CPU string that
is printed as the SPL or u-boot comes up. This update
adds a suffix of the form "-GP" or "-HS" for production
devices, so that general purpose (GP) and high security
(HS) can be distiguished. Applies to all OMAP5 variants.

When I'm building for AM437x HS and running on the device I don't see
that output. It seems like there is something funny going on with
CONFIG_SPL_DISPLAY_PRINT. Even though this definition is activated in
ti_omap4_common.h and ti_omap5_common.h it is not seen by
preloader_console_init() in spl.c, hence the function that prints the
chip-type/rev specifics never gets invoked.

So when I run the patches on actual DRA72x HS and DRA74x HS hardware
I'll get the device name/type output by SPL as expected so that piece
works. However this patch's commit message  implies the same should also
work on AM437x HS which it doesn't. I don't have AM437x non-secure
hardware at my desk but I looked at some boot logs from our test farms
and I also don't see the device ID output by SPL so that may be just how
it currently is implemented generally for AM437* and has nothing to do
with the patch discussed here.
This hwinit-common.c is not used by the AM335x/AM437x parts, hence the statement "Applies to all OMAP5 variants" in the commit message. The omap4/5 use in the commit header is because the omap4 cpu.h header file had to be updated in order to not break omap4 builds (because those builds DO use this hwinit-common.c).

Daniel

Madan, please comment/chime-in as needed.

Tested-by: Andreas Dannenberg <dannenb...@ti.com>

--
Andreas Dannenberg
Texas Instruments Inc