On 05/26/2017 06:09 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
So to sum up:

In order to get the platform data for pl01x I have to either disable
OF (so I lose the USB node as I said earlier) or*completely*  remove
the UART0 node from from the kernel dts.
I personally would rather not modify the kernel's DTS trees that I
am importing into uboot but I am really confused about the policy
now.

please could you clarify?

I still think what I proposed when we started is the better way to
go: a uboot specific hi3798cv200-u-boot.dtsifile that contains the
two nodes that are giving trouble.
I don't understand what we're not understanding, yes, you should be
using a -u-boot.dtsi file to mark uart0 as disabled and not have to
modify the kernel dts file at all.

This the bit that is NOT possible. Doing that is not enough.
To be clear, are you trying this on current mainline?  Simon reminded me
that if you don't have 7452946e7f37 in your tree, the -u-boot.dtsi file
cannot disable a node.

yes I have that commit (thanks Tom for checking this)

The issue is actually with serial-uclass.c when the kernel dts contains a chosen node that contains the stdout-path.
    chosen {
        stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";
    };

Disabling uart0 (ie serial0) in u-boot.dtsi loses the console instead of probing the pl01x for the platform_data.

is there a pre-defined way to work around this?