On 03.04.19 14:31, eugen.hris...@microchip.com wrote:

On 03.04.2019 15:22, Stefan Roese wrote:
External E-Mail

Hi Eugen,

On 03.04.19 13:21, Stefan Roese wrote:

<snip>

If I try to just use menuconfig and change this value to something
else,
build fails. The purpose of this Kconfig is to name the SPL filename as
per the config's desire ?

Or in fact is "which binary file to use to make the Combined SPL+U-BOOT
mega image" ?

Ok, the commit message explains it pretty well, but the Kconfig help is
totally different... hence the confusion sorry.
So we need to either make a choice submenu in this Kconfig : either this
or that; or, do exactly what the Kconfig says: rename the output binary
into the value of this Kconfig.

Does this make sense ?

You are suggesting to add this SPL_IMAGE as choice instead of its
current implementation? That might be better, yes. Let me look into
this...

I did look into this and I would prefer to stay with the original
implementation of the defaults. Changing this into a Kconfig choice
makes this a bit more complex in the Kconfig. Additionally and even
more important (for my personal feeling), the original implementation
is more in line with the BUILD_TARGET implemenation directly below
this new implementation.

So if you don't object, I would like to send a new version with the
original implementation but with a "better" (more correct)
description in Kconfig.

What do you think?

This would imply that your new description has to state that if an
incorrect binary name is configured here, the build will fail (?)

No. My main reasoning here is, that this is also not included in the
description of "BUILD_TARGET" below. Here you can also change the
selected value (via Kconfig help, no user input needed) to a new value
that is not supported, which also results in a build error.

I would like to not make this overly complex here. If a user wants
to do something stupid by defining this (or some other Kconfig
option) to an unsupported value, we can't really stop him.

If you really think this is necessary, I will add a sentence to the
Kconfig text, to only select "supported" values here. But again, I
would prefer to not do this.

Thanks,
Stefan