On 2024-01-26 14:46, Quentin Schulz wrote:
On 1/26/24 12:33, Dragan Simic wrote:
On 2024-01-26 11:37, Quentin Schulz wrote:
On 1/26/24 03:57, Kever Yang wrote:
On 2024/1/25 19:02, Quentin Schulz wrote:
We don't have a dedicated CD pin for the SD card connector.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0472192001/3044807
is the SD card connector we use.

Thanks for your information, but I think you are using the wrong
microSD connector for rk3588 and maybe also for other rockchip SoCs. Here are four microSD card connector from the web you provide, all
of
them have card detect signal available for pcb:
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/m/molex-connector/sd-memory-card-connectors

None of those fit our requirements. We need a safe system that
doesn't
break because of vibrations or shocks. Push-pull connectors are out
of
question for our design. We have had issues with our Q7 devkit with
push-pull connector with SD cards slightly smaller or inserted
somewhat the wrong way. I can recall also countless of discussions in the early days of the Raspberry Pis where there were a lot of issues
related to SD cards.

This is basically the mechanism we are using
https://media.distrelec.com/Web/WebShopImages/landscape_large/4-/01/Molex-500901-0801-30161714-01.jpg

Please, allow me to interject...  I'm really curious why don't you
use eMMC chips instead of microSD cards?  I mean, if the reliability is of utmost importance, I wouldn't even consider microSD cards, not
even the high-endurance variants.

We have both :)

Ah, I see. :)  Perhaps my question wasn't precise enough;  actually,
now I'd like to know what do you use as the primary storage for the
operating system installation -- eMMC chip or microSD cards?  Is the
eMMC chip soldered?  I'm just curious. :)

Soldered eMMC is the primary (expected) storage. If both eMMC and SD
card are inserted and properly flashed, it'll boot from eMMC except if
the BIOS button is pressed, in which case SD card will be selected
instead. If SD card is missing/improperly flashed, it'll boot into USB
flashing mode (rkdeveloptool/rockusb) if the BIOS button is pressed
(similar to when no storage media is properly flashed).

Thanks for the clarification.  Just one more question, please:  is the
BIOS button handled in software (i.e. in U-Boot), or does it disable the
eMMC chip by shorting its clock or a data line to ground?

None of those options :)

On RK3588, the boot media selection and order is done via the channel
0 of the SARADC. So a specific voltage is provided to boot from eMMC
or from SD card.

Ah, it's nice to see that RK3588 feature actually used.  Thanks for
the clarification!